Did you know we spend approximately 1/3 of our lives sleeping?
The bedroom is supposed to be an oasis - a place of peace, safety, and happiness. But it can also be a potential source of toxins and chemicals.
Many options are available to green up your bedroom from adding plants to investing in an eco-friendly mattress.
Protect your health and create your green bedroom oasis with these 8 eco tips:
- Indoor plants - Adding some hearty indoor plants is the simplest way to begin greening up your bedroom. Plants can help improve air quality and add a bit of Mother Nature’s beauty into your sustainable oasis.
- Eco Flooring - Eco-friendly flooring is cost-effective, durable, and devoid of harmful pollutants such as formaldehyde, benzene, and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). Cork, bamboo, or natural fiber carpeting are fantastic green options for the bedroom.
- Eco Paints - A fresh coat of paint can liven up your bedroom, but most conventional house paints contain VOC’s. Choose green products verified for top performance, consistent environmental standards, and social awareness.
- Eco Mattress - Choosing your optimal green mattress takes time and a solid financial investment. Keep in mind that there is no regulated certification for “green” or “natural” mattresses. Look for mattresses free of polyurethane foam and contain no fire-retardants such as PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers). Choose materials such as organic cotton, pure grow wool, 100% natural latex, hemp, and steel innersprings. Support your mattress with a natural, untreated Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood box spring.
- Eco Bedding - Many bed linens are treated with formaldehyde to make them soft. High-thread count and wrinkle-free sheets are often treated with chemicals. Choose bed linens in fabrics like organic cotton and bamboo to cover your green mattress.
- Eco Lighting - Make the switch to LED lights. While LED lights are more expensive than traditional lighting, you get 50,000 to 100,000 uses.
- Eco Scents - Eliminate chemical-scented candles, synthetic fragrances, air diffusers, and room sprays. Try bouquets of lavender and rosemary. Choose plant-based scents, 100% essential oils, non-aerosol citrus room spray, and soy-based candles.
- Energy-Efficient Windows - Keep it cool in the summer and cozy in the winter by installing energy-efficient windows and insulating window shades/curtains.
Create a healthy, green, clean, and sustainable bedroom oasis today for sweet dreams tonight!
**Note: From the Green Science Policy Institute - “Manufacturers can begin to make flame retardant-free furniture under the new regulation, TB117-2013, beginning January 2014. Although the new standard can be met without flame retardants, it does NOT ban their use. Look for the TB117-2013 label on products, and then verify with your retailer or manufacturer that products do not contain flame retardants.”**
Subscribe to my ezine Holistic Realty News, an integrative news source for holistic living.
Please share this article and your comments!
More Green Articles: