Congratulations on your new home! You are excited and eager to create a beautiful and welcoming home. While you may be eager to move in right away, every new homeowner needs to take some time to plan and prepare for a stress-free move.
Here are 7 things you need to do before moving into your new home:
- Start With Security: Change the locks. Too many people already have the keys to your home. Change the locks for your security and peace of mind.
- Clean Everything: Stock up on plenty of natural, nontoxic cleaning supplies and get to work. Clean the refrigerator, freezer, cabinets, closets, toilets, windows, carpets, and flooring. Enlist friends, family, or hire a pro to help get the job done.
- Paint: Decide which rooms need a fresh coat of paint. Choose eco-friendly paints and allow sufficient dry time before moving furniture into the room.
- Organize: Start organized and stay organized. Install shelving and closet organizers for clutter-free storage.
- Check For Water Waste: Do a thorough check of all pipes and test toilets for running water.
- Locate Breaker Box and Main Water Valve: Know where they are and how they work.
- Check Heating and Cooling Systems: Hire a professional to inspect and service heating and cooling systems before you move in.
**Bonus Tip: Create a contact list of home professionals and emergency phone numbers. Ask your new neighbors, friends, family, and real estate professionals for recommendations of local companies to create your master list. Make extra copies and exchange lists with your family and new neighbors.**
Do you have another moving in tip?
Subscribe to my ezine The Connected Times, a daily ezine focused on integrating sustainable lifestyles, technology, and social media.